Friday 27 January 2012

Response to Angela’s blog post “Oh the power of interpretation…”

Response to Angela's Blog: http://jesuschristthesuperstar.blogspot.com/
Angela, your interpretation of the lyrics to Lady Gaga’s song “Bad Romance” is interesting. I also interpret the relationship described in the song as a negative one. I agree the relationship described in this song seems to be an obsessive, dark relationship. When I analyzed the lyrics to this song before watching the music video, the video seemed random but full of hidden messages and symbols. At face value, the song lyrics seem to be about Gaga wanting to engage in a relationship with a psychopath. The obsessive nature in the relationship is seen through the constant repeating of “I want your love,” “as long as your mine.” The relationship does appear as a relationship filled with abuse and a love that she cannot escape. The insistence on having his love despite the ugly side and drama shows an unwillingness to let go, as well as an unnatural relationship and addiction as you stated in your blog.

            When examining the video for “Bad Romance” the connection with the music industry becomes apparent. It describes the dark and ritualistic workings of the entertainment industry, which is depicted with Gaga as a sex slave. I find the corporate product placements in the video particularly interesting, such as the Nemiroff vodka bottles, beats by dre, hp laptops, and carrera sunglasses. The main message of her music is that she is willing to do anything, even sacrificing herself in order to obtain fame. Gaga appears as a victim to the music industry. She wants to live in a bad romance with the music industry despite its cruel, abusive side. It is a portrayal of Gaga the “Fame monster.” 

The video flashes back to scenes of Gaga being forced to do things as a “sex slave” contrasted with her willingness.
I want your ugly
I want your disease
I want your everything
As long as it’s free
I want your love (Love-love-love I want your love)

I want your drama
The touch of your hand
I want your leather-studded kiss in the sand
I want your love love-love-love 
I want your love (Love-love-love I want your love)

In reference to the song lyrics, it is obvious that the love Gaga seeks is wrong and not healthy. Despite being a sex slave for the music industry, Gaga appears to like it. Like the unhealthy relationship Angela’s blog described (Quoted from Angela: “A relationship where the woman understands the damage that he is doing to her, and yet she is so addicted to his "love" that she cannot escape him”) Gaga knows the relationship with the music industry will hurt her and treat her horribly, but she is ready and willing to engage in that relationship.



No comments:

Post a Comment